View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Not knowing the layout of your house it is always hard to comment on these things. If you have am unused basement that would facilitate adding a woodstove, I would suggest looking at that as a serious option. It would keep the woodstove away from children and pets. However so often basements are finished and turned into living space that this is not possible. I know many people that have put a woodstove in the basement, and installed a permanent gate at the top of the basement stair well that allows the warm air up but prevents the kids and pets from going down.

Next to that my other recomendation would be looking into preventing heat loss as much as possible. Add an extra layer of insulation in the attic. Check around all window and doors for leaks and seal them as best as possible. And if you are not worried about the look of things and you have any big picture windows I have seen people put ridged foam insulation of those to cut down on heat loss.

To me do to the easiness of the project, I would start with adding a layer of insulation in the attic.