Thread: Hobbs - Ossipee
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 05:34 AM   #6
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
We made it to Hobbs for their soft opening this past weekend and I was blown away by both the facility and the food.

We were greeted warmly by Dawn (formerly of the Restaurant in Wolfeboro) when we entered and shown to our table on the main level. Kelly was our server for the evening and she was fantastic (many restaurant jobs, but her first stint waiting tables).

The entire place has been gutted and remodeled. All of the wood ceiling and walls were burnt and are beautiful. There is a beautiful stone fireplace (real logs) in the dining area. We took a tour up to the second floor and, if possible, puts the first floor to shame. Vaulted ceilings, another bar and fireplace along with a giant screen and projector for sports, etc. It also has a lot of hightops which I like.

They have a nice wine list and GOOD glasses (I am a wine glass snob) so we had a couple of bottles of Decoy Cab which was the right temp and priced fairly. Rob, the manager/ co-owner stopped by and chatted for a bit. He also showed us the reserve wine list which had some real nice bottles, again priced fairly. They brew their own beer and will be doing so on site very soon. I believe all beer is on tap and I do not believe they carry any of the domestic stalwarts like Bud.

The food was fantastic. Because it was our first visit we all chose different meals to share and try. Starters were Caesar salad, wings, and crabcakes. All were very good. Entrees included:
1) strip steak- cooked perfectly with good marbling
2) cold smoked, then grilled, prime rib- very good, though I have to say that I am partial to traditional prime rib.
3) Seared scallops- awesome and huge!
4) Grilled pork chop- again very good.

Pricing was fair, especially given the quality. See the menu on their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/hobbstavern

I have nothing but great things to say about Hobbs, their staff and food. I highly recommend a visit. FYI, for those wondering about the drive, it took us 14 minutes door to door from our house in Moultonborough (near the old country store). I know it will become a regular spot for us!

Congratulations Hobbs!!
Very helpful information. It is nice to see such a large investment in the restaurant and such a good review. Maybe this is my Woodshed replacement this summer?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post: