View Single Post
Old 04-06-2023, 05:11 PM   #35
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
Major I think you’ll agree that there should be no such thing as a hate crime. Motive is not an element of any other type of crime because it’s unconstitutional to punish thoughts. I’ve always been amazed who such laws withstand scrutiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
That’s an interesting aspect that I haven’t really thought of. My issue with hate crimes is that 1) how do you judge one group as being more aggrieved than another group, and 2) where is the cut off line for any group. Criminal laws are supposed to be objective, not subjective. It feeds into the notion that we have a two-tiered justice system.

I’m thinking that motive has no bearing. If it did I agree it would be problematic, not sure about unconstitutional. The issue is that we have based personal rights on a person’s affinity group. I can declare I’m gay and automatically have rights that I otherwise would not have. Criminal and civil. That doesn’t seem right to me.

Back to the original post, I have a high amount of doubt whether the graphiti was in fact a hate crime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Major is offline   Reply With Quote