View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #60
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
"Maine town solves their goose problem "

So the government, in their superior wisdom. can kill geese but "we", the lowly common people, cannot?

The issue is that geese are an annoyance WHEREVER they are because of their poop and generally irritating behavior. So by the government's logic you would be justified in killing them almost everywhere they show up. Soon they would become endangered. Then what? Is the fact that they were on a "public" beach somehow more important than when they are on a "private" beach? Why?

What's the difference between annoying geese and other types of annoying animals? Can we just kill them all including annoying dogs and cats? Is there a difference in running geese over or bashing them with a baseball bat or "euthanizing" them (what does that mean anyway? Hitting them with a bat where no one is watching?)? Does it make a difference that we live in a natural area where wild animals are expected to live vs. a city where they are less common and possibly more of a problem?

I don't claim to have all the right answers. I have no problem hunting or eating animals. However, I think there is a difference in humanely killing them for consumption vs. running them over because they are annoying. I also recognize that some animals species are threatened and deserve special protections, to a point. I am not bothered when occasionally I have run over a squirrel or other critter in the road. I try to avoid them but sometimes you just can't. However, my immediate reaction to the original action that caused me to start this thread was that the guy's actions were crude, excessive, and probably illegal.
Jeff: There needs to be some level of control. Otherwise the Geese will take over everything. I applaud the town in Maine for taking care of the problem in a humane fashion. By the way Jeff, the government represents the people and the majority of the people want the Geese population controlled.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote