View Single Post
Old 08-26-2023, 09:13 AM   #8
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
When my daughter was a tween/teen, I would drive us 45 minutes for pizza at Regina's in Boston. Year later, she wrote me a note or maybe a birthday card saying she loved my passion for pursuing great food--spending an extra hour or more in the car because local pizza would not do.

An hour each way for breakfast? I love your passion, Think!

Village Kitchen

Farmer's Kitchen, Farmington
Back in 2000, my mentor professor mentioned getting "New York Coffees" a couple times in class, but it always seemed more complex than a simple style choice, so I asked him about it one day.

He said a "New York Coffee" is when he and his wife would take "Elvira," his blacked-out 90's Chevrolet Impala SS, to New York City for a coffee...because it was the best coffee and the best place to have a coffee.

I was weirded out that someone would drive 4 hours for a coffee, but not long after that my then girlfriend/now wife drove through Smuggler's Notch (from Northern MA) to grab lunch from a Chinese restaurant we really loved when she was at Johnson State.

These days, if not hitting up a destination restaurant—The Old Salt, Tuckaway, Brown's, etc.—we have the kiddos choose a mark on the compass rose, drive an hour or two, and begin to look for places with good ratings. Great adventures (and food)!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post: