View Single Post
Old 06-19-2020, 12:08 PM   #108
Jdarby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
The so-called experts for the most part are government hacks whose best interest is to gin-up crises to ensure future funds. The so-called experts in January, February and early March said there was nothing to worry about. Go to Chinatown and order your favorite menu item. I wish we had listened to their early recommendations. Usually, ones first instinct is the right instinct. The same can be said for the so-called climate change experts. Their best interest is to create a crisis to ensure funding and wealth transfer.

To answer your first question, I think it should be easy to determine. Measure the number of deaths per year prior to enacting the law and after enacting the law.

The second question is similarly answered - measure the number of deaths attributable to cancer and heart disease before and after enacting the law.

The third question is tricky. The reason why we lowered the speed limit, initially to 50 and then to 55, had nothing to do with safety. The issue was gas (fuel) conservation. The thought being that going slower used less fuel. It has since become a safety issue. I guess we could look at accident deaths before and after the speed limits to determine an answer.

So there are ways to measure the questions you asked. I'm curious to see the data on face masks.
Not that simple Major. There is no way to control for what other factors may have decreased traffic deaths following seatbelt laws and lung cancer rates following smoking bans. Were there other changes to roadway safety and vehicle engineering that may have contributed to the decrease? If lung cancer rates decreased following a smoking ban was it due to the ban or were there other public or workplace pollution control measures that were also enacted around the same time that led to lower cases? Correlation does not equal causation. Also, I wasn’t talking about the 55mph speed limit issue I was talking about speed limits in general....why are they needed at all? When speed limits were first introduced in 1901 cars were far different.

I work in healthcare so my reference to “experts” has nothing to do with the folks you are watching on TV. Statisticians and epidemiologists work in every major healthcare system and not as TV personalities. Their research and recommendations are made within those healthcare systems devoid of governmental interference. Their jobs are not based on pandemics...normal flu cases and other common illness and disease keep them busy enough. There’s no puppet master pulling the strings. Be well!