Thread: Pops Clam Shell
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #12
Don

Default Pop's Lobster Roll

I stopped in Alton Bay on Saturday evening because of all the activity. There was live music at the bandstand and lots of people enjoying the beautiful summer weather.

The line wasn't too long at Pop's so I went over to check out the menu. The food coming out the window looked amazing. Huge overflowing dishes of fried fish, scallops and all kinds of seafood that made my mouth water.

It had been a while since I had a lobster roll so I decided to order one. I hadn't seen one come out but I assumed it would be as good as all the fried food looked. I must say I was disappointed. It was really a lobster salad roll, not a lobster roll. It was a hot dog bun filled with lettuce with a thin layer of lobster salad spread across the top of the lettuce. I dug through it and did find a few little pieces of what resembled lobster but most of it was the blended spread. I could barely detect the taste of lobster.

I also ordered a side order of calamari and that was great. The large and tender pieces of calamari were delicious and the order was huge.

The fried seafood at Pop's has to rate with the best around the lake. Unfortunately the lobster (salad) roll doesn't get such high marks from me. It made me long for the lobster roll at the old Waldo Peppers, stuffed with real lobster meat and served with drawn butter. That was really good.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote