View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
Belmont Resident

Default Hope this helps.

Ok first of all Mass & NH were reciprocating and may still be. Maine & NH were reciprocating. Maine & Mass to my knowledge were never reciprocating.
To get around this, Mass residents were registering in NH and riding into Maine.
Mass residents registering in NH had a very small corner cut off the registration, this was almost impossible to detect. So instead of just maybe issuing a completely different highly visible sticker they decided to just cancel all reciprocation.
Anyways Maine was loosing out on registration dollars as more and more riders did this.
This is what was explained to me by Fish and Game way back when they first made the change as I as a NH resident that had to make the change.
All the funds raised from registrations are suppose to go into maintaining the trails so I was all for it. Being a homeowner in Maine and experiencing first hand what the money does for trail improvements I still don’t mind paying the $89.00 registration and believe the trails in Maine are well worth the money. Hell we spend that much a day in fuel many days.
Most sleds are 8K-12K so even a $100 for a season pass is nothing. Most ski areas cost what 70-80-90 a DAY.
I do not think multiple state riding will ever happen. I can’t see how they would divide up the money between the states and it would be a tremendous revenue loss for NH & Maine.
As for local businesses they donate what they can to help the clubs out. Remember bad winters mean no income and with the economy many riders have been skimping where they can, packing lunches, and making meals instead of eating out. Many businesses in the Jackman, Rockwood and Greenville area are struggling. And some are not.
Personally I believe Maine offers the best riding and has the largest trail system in New England. No other state comes close to offering off trail riding that gets you out into the backwoods where no one else has been.
By the way we not only register as none residents, we also but in countless hours and even days helping out our snowmobile club 4.5 hours away.