View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 04:39 PM   #23
Hivolt

I am figuring that the better half is going to want to do all the touristy stuff at all the major ports of call until she gets sick of it, in the mean time I can base my boat purchase the following year on what the real estate market looks like and so on. This would also give me time to putt around and check out all the different marinas and see which I like most of I go the route you did. Sorry about being so all over the place in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
A few years ago I started with a 27ft single engine boat. The idea was similar to yours, a weekend retreat. After a year, we decided that we loved it, and then moved to a 38ft boat with twin engines to have more comfort for sleeping, etc.

We love it. You can learn to operate the boat in time. Just go slow. I still do!

We come up every Thursday or Friday and spend the whole weekend, even if we never leave the dock. It's like having a summer camp. Sometimes we go out on other boats, sometimes we take people out with us. Of course having a slip at a nice place helps a lot!

Trailering a boat gives you access to many other boating destinations. But my boats were to large to be trailered. Not a problem for us, as we love the lake.

My thought is that with a rental or day boat you miss more than half of the experience, but it depends on what you are looking for.

Good luck with your choice.
Hivolt is offline   Reply With Quote