View Single Post
Old 02-13-2023, 08:19 AM   #7
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I noticed my water heater has galvanic corrosion on the inlets the other day. Given that it's 7+ years old and that I need a few other plumbing fixes, I'm planning on replacing it all at the same time.
Here. 30 gallon tank electric water heater.
Learned years ago to replace the electrodes every 1 or 2 years.
As my well water has "calcium" or whatever that white flake material is.
Simple job. That anyone can do. There is a special wrench to take off the electrodes. And any hardware store has replacement for electrodes. Be sure to turn off the water and turn off the electricity at breaker box. Drain water heater.

As to whether big box stores sell electric water heaters different than a plumbing supply company. Stop in to a plumbing supply store and obtain the model numbers of water heaters that they sell. Then compare that model number to the model number at the big box stores. There are a few plumbing supply places in Laconia and Gilford. Also obtain a paper brochure. Then read it.

Many decades ago. I replaced 2 electric water heaters. I was asked by plumber if I wanted a 5 year warranty or a 10 year warranty. I asked what was the difference between the 5/10 year water heater. The answer was nothing. Same water heater. Just pay more for water heaters to get the 10 year warranty.

Also, at plumbing supply company. Ask what brand that they sell the most of. May or may not help in your choice.

Also, the NH Electric Coop used to advertise some sort of tank electric water heater. Can't remember the brand/name.

The last time I bought tank type electric water heaters. I just went to Lowe's/Home Depot and purchased whatever they had in stock.
Over 10 years with no issues.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote