Thread: Infrared heat
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2022, 06:08 PM   #46
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Back to the question at hand...
Did you make a choice?
I spent a lot of time studying this today and didn't come to a conclusion. There are a lot of claims about the Dr998 infrared heater heating 1000 sq ft with the same 1500 watts that a ceramic heater uses to heat 300 sq ft---But also many reviews that say that claim is exaggerated. Reviewers who dismantled the DR998 found that it consists of 1 small quartz tube and 1 PTC element, whereas other brands have 4 to 6 quartz tubes. They report early failure of the quartz tube. Another concern is the long time it takes infrared to heat a room---45 minutes to raise the temperature 5 degrees.

I did finally come across an explanation that helped me understand infrared heat: you can feel the warmth of the sun on your face in the winter, above the air temperature. That's after the sun's infrared rays traverse 93 million miles of space at minus 454 degrees.

I did buy a full tank of oil last week for $4.29 a gallon. Very glad I did that, as the price rose immediately afterward. Still trying to get my wood split to save the oil for December through February.

Last edited by SailinAway; 10-09-2022 at 06:58 PM.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote