View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 11:21 PM   #1
baygo

Default Doggy heaven gets new welcomer

13 years ago I got tired of carrying my golf clubs. I did some research about drafting dogs and learned that the Bernie's Mountain dog was bred to pull milk carts from the fields for farmers in Switzerland. I did additional research and found a breeder and anxiously put myself on a waiting list. A little bit over a year later I became what I thought was the master of this little puppy. I named him bagger after slang for a golfer's caddy. My assumption that I was the master was based on my experience with a German Shepherd. The Shepard is a dog that the master can command and the shepherd will respond. Little to my knowledge the burner on the other hand is a being who must be coerced or perhaps pleaded with. When asking A Berner to sit better results are more likely received when sit is preceded by "please". Nonetheless my relationship with bagger blossomed and in time he was trained to pull a cart with my golf clubs.

Bagger and I showed up at the golf course and were greeted by an unwelcome "No you can not have your dog on the golf cours". To which I replied " then I guess I don't have to pay my high-priced annual dues anymore, and I'll just go bye my dog is own golf course." That led to my wife and I moving from Colorado to New Hampshire to purchase an abandon par three golf course in the Laconia in July of 2009.

The golf course also had an abandoned restaurant. Our original plan was to rent the restaurant out however the economic environment of 2009 2010 was not one that encouraged risk taking in the restaurant business and we found ourselves without any potential tenants come January. The decision was made to go back into the restaurant business. As luck would have it an artist emerged with a knack for humorous illustrations of the Bernie's Mountain dog. Bagger became the inspiration behind our logo.

May 4, 2010, the day before we opened the restaurant bagger was hit by a car. This unfortunate incident impacted him the same as it would any great athlete and brought to an end his days as a golf caddy. Eager to work Bagger stayed on as the official tavern 27 Welcomer.

Bagger did his job with unparalleled enthusiasm, and it is with great regret that I announce that Bagger was poached by a headhunter searching for a blue-eyed welcomer in doggy heaven.

I wish Bagger the best in his future endeavors, and I hope that he be so lucky to catch a loop for Payne Stewart, Bobby Jones, or maybe even Ben Hogan.

By the way he was a great kisser :-) and if you're one of the ones who enjoys what we offer in our restaurant I must make you aware, we likely wouldn't be here in the Lakes Region had it not been for Bagger.
Attached Images

baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to baygo For This Useful Post: