View Single Post
Old 09-21-2022, 08:11 PM   #9
ApS

Arrow Forest Road Leads to Wolfeboro Neck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
Black bears are the least aggressive of all bears species … if you are walking and approach a bear, make sure the bear knows that you are people and not prey. Talk to the bear and wave your arms around. The odds of being attacked by a black bear are extremely low. I hope no one is thinking that these bears are dangerous and should be removed or worse. There have always been black bears around.
They have a reputation as "not aggressive", but take that up with New Hampshire resident Apryl Rogers, and her life-threatening injuries:

Quote:
"WMUR-TV reported that Rogers, who was using a wheelchair before the attack, was still recovering from life–threatening injuries. The animal sliced her cheek and scalp and fractured her neck. She also lost her left eye."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...an-inside-home
Surely their numbers are up in recent years, especially in north Melvin Village. They're hunted in New Hampshire, so bears tend to keep away from civilization.

If anything, I'd want the town to take better control of the neighbor's household garbage security that attracted two large bears within 50 feet of me in my driveway. (At Yosemite Park, a wild Black Bear ambled within 10 feet of me, then turned around and scooted up a trail).

When I asked the late Ralph Merwinn Horn (on video) about Black Bears on Wolfeboro Neck, he said he'd never seen one! (Mr. Horn had been active on Wolfeboro Neck since the 1930s).

I'd also suggest that the town put "Bear Crossing" signs where Baby's family roams. That would send a message to the nearby families who put up signs that read, "Drive Like Your Kids Lived Here".

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote