View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 07:56 PM   #54
ApS

Arrow Don't Give Up on The Troybuilt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Ya know ..... I musta been outside in the cold yesterday afternoon for two hours wrestling with that TroyBilt 2410, trying to remove the wheel rim from the axle so's I can go take it to a bicycle repair or someplace to get another tube from Lowe's installed, correctly. Instead of using four lug nuts like any normal small utility wheel, this snowblower wheel slides onto the axle with about 4" of axle to wheel internal contact and it must be totally fused together with rust. Removing the single 3/8" bolt was easy, but removing the wheel was impossible even with a 3' crowbar and a block of wood and WD-40 and then with expensive PB-blaster lube ..... nothing happening! Next plan: get that green Slime for tubes, which I've never used, and give that a try for inflating the tube, inside the tire ........ it's Slime-It to the rescue ....... stay tuned.
You don't have to retire the Troybuilt—you just have to re-tire it. A new tire and rim can be purchased for less than that can of Slime.

"Our" problem was getting the wheel rim off the rusted axle. (I had two!)

I drilled two holes, using the valve stem hole as the first. (Drilling all the way through). Then, using 6-inch long bolts and washers, attached a rugged piece of metal. Then put the nut about 7 threads deep, proceeded to tighten the two bolts against the axle. One axle took a few minutes, but the other wouldn't budge. The 1/2-inch piece of metal bent towards the end of the day.

I sprayed it with all the penetrants I had, and let it soak overnight. With the help of a hammer next morning, I was able to remove the rim. (Under warrantee). It's a little bent-up from the process, but the Greenworks factory is sending me a new one. In the smaller sizes (like mine), standard mounted wheel rims and tires can be found on the Internet for $3 or $4.

Your Troybuilt could be a bigger rim, and would be priced accordingly.

Here are the tools:
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote