View Single Post
Old 02-11-2021, 01:58 AM   #44
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH.Solar View Post
mswlogo,
I suggest flipping those skids around so the shoe is under the snowblower rather than sticking out to the side. That way the corner of your cutting edge will likely be shielded from catching. The only issue with this is you will need to have a bit of clearance under the cutting edge. We set most of the snowblowers leaving our shop by placing a ~12" long piece of plywood under the center of the scraper and then setting the skids down flat to the ground before tightening the carriage bolts to hold them.
Two other quick tips that might prove useful since it is the season. Before starting the snowblower hold down on the auger drive lever and pull the engine over slowly with the recoil rope once or twice. If it pulls over without any jamming you will know that the auger and fan are free spinning and nothing has frozen up with ice. Plus you will have dipped the rod and crank journal in the oil before starting a cold engine.
Second, always clear the snow plowed into your driveway by the Town before doing the rest. First reason is that is usually the heaviest and least passable, second is that is where all the salt will be and as you clear the rest of the driveway you flush it out of your machine.
Interesting point about the salt. By luck it’s generally done about half way through the job. So clean snow is passed through before it’s put away.

I always try to clean excess snow before putting it away to avoid freeze ups. It is in a detached shed. The blower has never frozen on me on any blower in 30+ years. The auger has maybe half a dozen times. But always freed itself with a couple quick pulses.

Not sure about flipping the shoes. I’ll have a look to see what your referring to. They have been on their since 2015 and really no mishaps. Really not much to catch on. I’d be concerned with raising the cutting edge any more than it is now and I think I set it much lower than I think you’re suggesting. I forget what recommendation I used besides my eyeball and gut. Might have done some trial and error too. Stock shoes are too stubby

Here are the skids I have. You do see some pics with them flipped in, but most are out.

http://snowblowerskids.com/armorskids-video/
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote