Thread: 101.5 weei
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 07:18 PM   #29
Trail Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
...I think many of these traditional radio stations/formats are going the way of the newspaper. Yes, more will try and come along but they'll struggle, there will be lots of station turnover, programs will be short-lived, and it'll be hard to develop the radio personalities that fascinated people once upon a time. I grew up listing to AM radio on my transistor radio (mostly Yankees games late into the night against my parent's wishes) which I guess in and of itself was the beginning of a new type of listening - portable.

Hard to compete with subscription based commercial free radio, better advertising choices, specialized stations that pay big bucks to even bigger non-local personalities, the internet, video games, personal play lists...to say nothing of the fading interest in sports that I see in kids growing up these days. Even cable TV is a dying technology. Local stations just don't have the cachet they once did.

Anyone that's getting up in years and is from CT will remember Bob Steele on WTIC-AM 1080. Now there was a personality.
Sadly I think the radio we know today is a dying industry, and that was made very clear to me for the first time, earlier this year, when Entercom sold 107.3 back in February and put WAAF (Boston's rock station) out of business. Entercom also owns WEEI, so it no surprise to me that they sold the airwaves. I think Entercom is moving toward the internet and doing away with FM broadcasting.
Trail Goer is offline   Reply With Quote