View Single Post
Old 06-19-2020, 10:06 AM   #97
jogator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
Actually, you misunderstand me somewhat. I'm actually not as worried about catching this disease myself, as I am that a resurgence in society as a whole will undo the work accomplished in the lockdown and will mean further restrictions. (This is what I wrote: "After the pain and suffering of the lockdown, it worries me that people may let this disease get out of hand again because they don't like wearing a mask. Especially as more people pour into town.")

I'd like to go out to eat and see my friends. I want the economy to come back strong. A resurgence in the disease threatens that. I want this all to be behind us and carelessness in society threatens that.
I think most of us (at least Myself) agree with you that we don't want a resurgence and would love for things to return to normal. It's just easy to throw around the word "science" to justify an opinion when the science really doesn't exist for this virus or preventing it with a mask. Your typical surgical/medical mask is effective for about 60 seconds after which the humidity of your breath renders it practically useless. That's science indicated by peer reviewed research. The pro-maskers are completely assuming that a mask will catch large infected droplets of a cough/sneeze even after those first 60 seconds. It is pure assumption (maybe right, maybe wrong) but the real problem with transmission is being exposed to the viral cloud for 5-10 minutes. Those large droplets quickly fall to the ground and don't create the "cloud" of suspension that has been noted to be far more dangerous in transmission. Science does not indicate that a surgical/medical mask can stop this cloud after 60 seconds of use. This is the reason they're calling for social distancing as those large droplets will typically fall to ground before traveling greater than 6 ft. This virus is here and will take its course through the summer. There's no way of stopping it until we find a viable treatment or vaccine. There are areas around the world and in this country in which the virus is spreading rapidly even in lockdown or with full use of masks (Asia). We can look at the statistics and interpret them as we wish. Our interpretation is our opinion based on our political beliefs. Some think the stats aren't bad, some are living in complete fear with the same exact virus. Personally, I wear a mask when it is mandatory because I like to follow the rules. If it's not mandatory I make the decision for myself based on the situation. Others have the same liberty to make their own decision.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jogator1 For This Useful Post: