View Single Post
Old 06-18-2020, 10:49 AM   #57
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
Putting aside my degree of selfishness (pretty selfish, actually) and whether or not I'm a business owner, I actually agree with you.

It's crucial that businesses be able to reopen and thrive. We cannot have another lockdown. However, if the disease gets out of hand again, restaurants and other businesses will suffer, even if they stay open. A lot of people won't want to go out for dinner if they don't feel safe. If workers become sick, there will be major disruption.

My point is that something simple, like the use of face masks in spaces where there are a lot of people, ie the grocery stores, etc. might be a simple way of preventing a resurgence to some degree. It can't really hurt, right?

The Lakes Region is not an isolated rural community, particularly in the upcoming months when the population surges. Massachusetts is still reporting a couple of hundred new cases every day, and has had a total of 100,000+
confirmed cases with 7000+ deaths. If you doubt those numbers, you weren't seeing the Sunday Globe obituary section which ran to almost 30 pages for several weeks, something shocking that I had never seen before.

My point in my posts is not to get into the politicization of this disease, but to point out that a small amount of vigilance might do us all a lot of good. That's it.

Unfortunately the mask is a symbol of the politicalization (if that’s a word) of the issue. We have had lots and lots of pandemics and communicable diseases over the past 100 years. Prior to this so-called pandemic we have never (1) quarantined healthy people and (2) been forced to wear masks. Those of us who are skeptical of our political leaders and government in general view this as an opportunity for the government to control the masses. In all honesty, humans are made to live in an unclean world and by doing all this we are going against Mother Nature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post: