View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 01:31 PM   #5
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
"The only other clue I have is that to create the holes for the damper rod, the guy used a 22 pistol." Did the guy really do this?? If he did I would trust none of his other work... To try and help you out...if its wood you are smelling, most likely a leak around the thimble. I also see blackness on your brick just above the 12:00 o'clock position of your thimble ring. Leak could be coming from there...Wow...still cant get over the 22 logic! Dan
Yes, seriously, that happened. Not on my property though, believe me. He did it at his house after I told him firmly that I didn't want a damper. He arrived with the assembled pipe with damper as a fait accompli.

Looking at the discoloration on the wall, it seems like what you would expect after 50 years of a woodstove in that location. However, the thimble ring is not attached in any way. Is it purely decorative?

Below are photos of where the pipe enters the wall. Is it possible there's not enough cement on the left side? Also, in the first photo there does appear to be a space in the joint below one of the screws.

Name:  P1010641.JPG
Views: 1340
Size:  146.5 KB

Name:  P1010639.JPG
Views: 1301
Size:  148.0 KB
Attached Images

Sponsored Links