View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #24
NH_boater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I was unaware that it is legal for someone to walk on my dock. Can you please provide the excerpt from the statutes that permit this action? I think most dock owners are unaware of this. Thanks.
Littoral and riparian rights.

There are many of websites addressing these common laws, many with their own interpretations or clarifications. Loosely: The same common law that give the land owner the right to place a dock into public waters (with permits) and the right to have reasonable access to that dock from the water also requires the land owner to allow reasonable access to the shoreline/water up to the high water line on shore. A person walking the shoreline fishing, while below the high water line can legally cross your dock, as that dock is interfering with public access to the public water.

Of course in NH, a person can come right up on your land and are not trespassing unless the property is properly marked with no trespassing signs, making it a secured premises.
TITLE LXII - CRIMINAL CODE

Anyone who might be really concerned should read the laws carefully and possibly consult an Attorney.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NH_boater For This Useful Post: