View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #17
NH_boater

Default my experiences

I agree with ishoot308.

I fish from my Kayak almost every morning and I do cast around docks and boats (kind of). I have never hit a boat or dock as I know not to get too close. I would not want someone hitting my boat or dock with hooks or anything else. I never cast around swim platforms (don't want to leave a hook behind for some kid later) and I never cast with anyone in the water, or loons for that matter. Inflatables get lots of room.

I often strike up conversation with land owners (I am one too) that are enjoying their coffee, reading, painting or on their computer. I always apologize for disturbing their quiet morning. I have found this a nice way to open dialog and almost always results in friendly chatter. I have never had anyone comment about where or when or how I am fishing. I have even had multiple home owners tell me to get closer to their docks as they see 'big' fish hanging out all the time.

I do not have the patients for rude people and I believe that the onus is on the fisherman and home owner to live in harmony with one another. Either party can easily be a jerk and this makes both parties miserable.

It is perfectly legal for a fisherman to walk on and around someone else's dock (high water line). I just would not do it unless there were extreme circumstances.

I am sure there are plenty of fisherman who are real @$$es, just like I am sure the same can be said for many home owners. I am also sure that if I was more inconsiderate, I would find others to be the same.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote