View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #33
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
What bothers me is that the local community college has excellent courses in hospitality and cuisine. I had the pleasure to dine at thier restuarant at Belmont Mill building and I am very impress with the professionalism.

For some reason the graduates are not considered prime employee material and local restuarants choose to hire inexperience help. Economics? I'd rather hire a qualified student and pay a little extra to develop outstanding service that will result in satisfied customers, than hire unqualified people off the street and suffer the consequences of unhappy customers.

Southern NH University also has an excellent culinary school. Stop by their multi million dollar hospitality building for food to die for.

I know this is off topic but there is no excuse for local restuarants to hire folks that are not trained. Most of the students would love to stay in the area but no one is hiring them.
My granddaughter graduated from Southern NH University with a degree in Culinary Management. While she was a student there I went to The Quill for lunch many times. The students run every aspect of the restaurant, from meal creation to guest seating to serving.

A lot of the students who graduate from there go into the catering business because that is where the money is. That's what she is doing and has gone to many McMansions on Lake Winnipesaukee to do catering. I could tell you some very interesting stories (but I won't). They also try to get jobs at Inns where they can learn about memorable cuisine, and world-class service.

My daughter also graduated from Southern NH University with a degree in computer science and accounting. It's a top notch school.