View Single Post
Old 03-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #11
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Browndog: Congratulations on pursuing your dream of securing an island property for your family. I don't have any recommendations on a builder but as the economy has improved in recent years it has been harder and harder to get contractors to bid on projects never mind to actually complete projects. Given this reality and the fact that as you allude to the cost of building on an island is high due to the difficulty of getting there why not consider an existing property that someone else has already incurred the cost of developing?
There is truth in this statement about local builders. My last project back in 2009 was a disaster. Fired two builders that claimed to be 'premier builders' and renew my construction loan and permits 3 times at additional expense in order to complete the project. Good luck in finding a reputable builder.

You should consider a prefab home. Benson Woods out of Walpole recently built a very good friend of mine lake property. The company manage the project from start to finish in less than one month, not including the fabrication of the building and landscaping.