View Single Post
Old 08-26-2022, 11:44 AM   #419
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Disagree. I think the docks can handle larger boats from a structural point of view. When they were first built with pre-stressed concrete, (ca. 1960?) there was a lot of commercial activity in Glendale. The big pilings at the ends are certainly less convenient for smaller boats. Cars and trucks could drive out on all three docks. That was much easier when I had a car load of stuff to unload. The Bear and the Camp from Camp Lawrence and Camp Nokomis were regulars for supplies and campers on "change days". That continued when they went to one larger boat (The Bear) for many years. Islanders who use Glendale instead of a rented/owned slip someplace started lobbying for more restricted use and the BOS eased the commercial users out over time. As I recall the 30' limit started only for commercial boats.
Scroll back on this thread and you will see pix that Steve posted of a beautiful 35' boat that is a regular. More recently there was an attempt to extend 30' to all boats, and then the TM backed off a little to allow those with larger boats to pick up, drop off, mail, trash, guests, etc. In the picture of the Gypsy, it looks like she is backed in with her bow extended so she is not using more that about 25-30 feet of dock. Very polite and considerate.
Those docks are NOT the same as they were “back in the day”. They have been rebuilt numerous times and now simply consist of precast concrete slabs simply resting on (not bolted to) a wooden crib. The vertical wooden pilings are only embedded into the lake bottom and not even anchored to the sides of the crib. As a matter of fact you can grab any of those vertical pilings and easily move them 6 or 7 inches in any direction. The town of Gilford paid to have the docks straightened out three years ago and five years ago. One time was due to ice the other due to summer movement caused by large boats and it wasn’t cheap!

I don’t consider parking a 48’ boat which is 18’ over the town limit and also park it on a restricted dock “polite and considerate”. When rules are only for others and not for you, that is a perfect example of entitlement!

It is a beautiful boat though….

Dan