Thread: Damage reports
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #32
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
Around 10:00 last night there was some rain and wind, in a flash the wind picked up very quickly and shook the house. I was sure something had touched down or was about to. The roar of wind and the sound of rain hitting the house, lightning with immediate thunder, indicated the cell was on top of us. I hurried down the hall to flip on the outside flood lights to see what the trees were doing and I couldn't see the back deck, it was like being in a car wash. I went back down the hall to tell my wife we may want to go to the basement (we have tall pines around the house and our bedroom is on the top floor) and she freaked out. She had never seen me concerned about a thunder storm. Before she could even get out of the bedroom the wind and rain stopped, like someone flipped a switch. That confirmed, for my amature weather knowledge, that we had either a micro-burst or one heck of a cell pass over us. When I told my wife never mind, it's over, she looked baffled. I tried to explain what I thought happened but to no avail. She was angry I scared her.
My guess was confirmed this morning when I saw a micro-burst caused heavy damage in Franklin. It may not have been the same burst, but it originated from the same cell. I wonder if anybody else felt similar conditions.
That is exactly what happened on Long Island after my post. It was very short but worse than I can recall. It seemed a very unusual event. We lost our house in Hurricane Andrew so I know what really bad weather is like.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote