Thread: Gas siphoning?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2022, 07:24 PM   #2
XCR-700

Exclamation Be very careful if you smell or see gas and do not try to start it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyjp2 View Post
I have a boat on a mooring in Alton Bay, last used the morning of July 9th. I bought it brand new recently and am still on the original 60 gallon tank of fuel. I left it that morning with a little over half a tank and the engine computer confirms I used 23 gallons.

I started it this afternoon and its telling me the tank is empty. I'm going to dump in a few gallons tomorrow to get me to a gas dock. I'm at a loss. Has anyone heard of gas being stolen from boats?
I have been waiting for this to happen,,, Boats are a pretty easy target and in most cases you could pull a lot out quickly if you had the right hose and a good jump.

In one way I hope for you it was just a case of theft as a loss of 30+ gal of fuel in the bottom of the hull, or worse pumped out by the bilge into the lake would be really bad.

Was there any smell of gas? Any sign of gas in the bottom. Be VERY careful starting it, if there is a leak and there are fumes you could have an explosion.

Look the boat over real good, see if you can find any signs that the gas cap had been removed.

And above all else make sure there is no leak. If you see any signs of leakage do NOT START THE MOTOR, it could kill you!

If there is a gas leak, call the marine and let them deal with it!

Good Luck!
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post: