View Single Post
Old 12-27-2022, 10:34 AM   #93
LikeLakes

Right, they ended up removing the quonset hut in Edmonds Col because too many people were using it to overnight rather than as an emergency shelter.

I've thought about the huts being open in winter over the years. I don't buy the "if they are open, more people will get in trouble" theory. If that were so, then Lonesome Lake and Carter Notch wouldn't be kept open. I think it's hard to staff, hard to supply, and hard environmentally to deal with people at most of the huts so AMC makes the financial/impact decision to keep them closed.

Gray Knob on Mt. Adams is open in winter, and Crag Camp isn't officially open but you can shelter there (or at least you could when I was last there in winter). As far as I know neither has contributed to more accidents.

I'm sorry the guy died, sorry for his family, it is truly sad. That doesn't excuse his actions. He had a phone he could navigate with, which means he had a phone he could spend 30 minutes online with and learn of the conditions and weather forecast and minimum equipment needed for that hike. People have to be responsible.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote