View Single Post
Old 03-17-2024, 12:37 PM   #32
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
Please keep us posted. I need to get the chip but am hanging back until I hear all your input. One question...do you know if you can adjust/reduce the water level contours...I was hoping to not have to see that level of detail all the time.
On my EchoMap 73sv UHD, I can change the level of detail on the map through a few different levels from "Least", "Less", "Normal", "More" and "Most".

This tends to change the number of water contour lines.

I sure wish it had a feature like my older C80 RayMarine where I can press one button "reduce clutter", which would remove most all depth contours and only leave the navigational information. For normal navigation, I'd like full details. but pretty much NO depth contours. Perhaps leave depth shading at a depth which I choose (perhaps 10 ft) to let me know when I'm approaching a shallow area.

The reason why I don't want to set the level of detail to "Least", is that in addition to setting the minimum number of depth contours displayed (at least when you zoom out), it also removes/hides other information, such as the name of Islands and other things that I can't remember at the moment.

There also is a setting for Navaid size, which I have set to "Largest", they allow "Smaller, Normal, Larger, Largest", but to me, even largest seems a bit small.

If I could have a setting to remove all Depth contours (except the shallow shading mentioned above) but still have detail set to normal or high, then I'd have a perfect display. The problem is that at 'speed', the depth contours make seeing some spar buoys tougher as well as the 'preferred paths' that are on the charts.

Garmin does have three different chart displays, "Fishing" and "Navigation" and "Perspective 3D". I'd like to set Navigation chart to have minimum or no depth contours, and then I can use the Fishing chart when I want detailed depth contours, but I haven't found a way to do this.