Thread: murphy's
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 05:03 PM   #49
pepdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneck1814 View Post
I believe 4000+/- is the year round population, when including those who "go away for the winter" the population balloons dramatically. There are 4,900 housing units alone in town according to the Census. Even assuming a conservative 2 people per house that increases the seasonal population substantially. I know our camp, like many, rarely only has 2 people on any given weekend May-October.

Unfortunately, I think in a town where the population varies so substantially from one season to the next, you have to staff and plan for the max. When it comes to emergency services, I would certainly rather be over staffed than under staffed. Especially in a town with the tough geographical layout that Moultonboro has.
From what I have read, Moltonboro estimates up to 25,000 in the summer months and has approximately 4,400 year round residents. However they also estimate that weekenders in the fall winter and spring swell the population to approximately 10,000. Many second home people come up to ski, snowmobile, ice fish, look at the leaves, etc...

I doubt any lake region community's population is ever near the number of permanent taxpayers.
pepdog is offline   Reply With Quote