View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #38
Island Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbathe View Post
I thought the Weirs was lame 20 years ago. . . . . .

Hampton Beach. Salisbury Beach. Virginia Beach. Weirs Beach. At their core, they're no different. People, thankfully, just grow up and move on. The attraction is the beach.

The Weirs IS lame - that's the appeal of it. There are plenty of places in New England where your kids can experience fun with modern technology (Six Flags, etc.) but not many places left where kids can have old-fashioned fun with simpler technology. For those who don't like it, it's fine to go someplace else. But don't pave over the past to put up one more brightly lit, high-tech could-be-anywhere fun-center. There are plenty of parents who want there children to experience (every once in a while) the kind of fun we had as children. In many ways, the Weirs is like a museum.

Are my kids (almost teens) the only ones around who love the Weirs? They know how lame it is compared to other places but they still love it. Bumper cars, the old games, trading in their tickets for cheap plastic junk . . . they beg to go there 2 or 3 times a summer.

As for the beach itself, I've never been there and have no desire to do so. It's the arcades that draws us, not the beach.