View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 07:15 PM   #16
gravy boat

Default Sad, but true

I understand Mr. V's point -- my stepdaughters (15 and 11 yrs old) text constantly. Five, ten, fifteen years ago she would be on the phone constantly. Technology changes and it's easier now -- they don't need to work at entertaining themselves...it's as easy as typing a few keystrokes or logging on or turned on the Xbox.

I watch my stepdaughters and look back and compare life as a 15 year old NOW with a 15 yeas old THEN. Based on my observations I see the difference as pretty simple: We as a society have grown lazy (in GENERAL) and allowed outside influences to impact our children more than we should, in my opinion. Children rely on electronics to entertain them. Children watch TV, MTV and various cable shows such as Tila Tequila and the like ... and they watch and learn. And for some reason, we let them. We have allowed our children to expect to be entertained, electronically stimulated, etc. We limit the girls on TV viewing and electronics when they are with us -- unfortunately, they are with us only every other weekend these days. We spend time on the lake together and with friends (and their friends are welcome to come up anytime), and skiing at Gunstock in the winter.

When the girls spend time with each other, family and friends instead of watching TV, on the internet or texting they are noticeably better behaved and communicative.

Back to the point -- what we teach our kids (the people who will inherit our lake properties and carry on traditions) is what they will keep with them into adulthood. There is so much more out there for families to do together, even if there's not a lot of money to go around these days. It's matter of not being lazy parents.

Just my two cents....although I probably gave you more than a nickel on that one!

GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote