View Single Post
Old 01-07-2023, 09:22 AM   #13
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post

A lower BTU unit may be more efficient but the unit will come on and off much more frequently. So . . on . . off . . on . . off. . quite often. And ultimately placing more wear on unit. The igniter, the fan, etc. working harder and more often.

Best to get a name brand that all service folks know, where replacement parts are readily available, and can be fixed by any technician.
That's pretty much the opposite of what happens when you install a heating unit that is too big versus one that is properly sized. The burner in the oversized unit will repeatedly hit its high limit and turn off until it cools enough to turn back on. Keep in mind that in a furnace the fan will continue to run, that's what cools the heat exchanger down. This repeated cycling of the burner is what makes the unit less efficient and increases wear on the unit. It is better to have a system that is properly sized and does not cycle while heating.

You are on the right track with the brand name advice, but I wouldn't necessarily go by brand name, what I ask for is a unit where all parts that can fail are either in the tech's van or in stock at the distributor. Usually this rules out most super efficient burners and systems. For propane around 90 % seems to be the magic number. For oil, maybe around 87%.

In general I like to avoid variable speed motors and hi-tech busses/communications on board. Wifi enable is another thing I really don't want in my hvac equipment, other than the thermostat. Those components obsolete out pretty quickly.

Bigdog, I would find a good contractor, who sells good equipment. Have them properly size the unit to your house. If you need ducting modifications then get them done as that is usually the issue if you are having problems heating with forced hot air. Tell the contractor that you want a unit where if he shows up to fix something he'll have the parts on his truck.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post: