View Single Post
Old 01-03-2023, 03:35 PM   #8
MeredithMan

Default Trane is definitely a good brand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Looking for few 'gas' furnace replacement recommendations ?

Furnace has been acting erratic and not hold heat at set temperature.
Situation started after recent power outages, but has been having issues heating during extreme cold temps.

Had HVAC tech review, and he said my 'heat exchanger' in the furnace has cracks and is leaking, causing furnace to run erratic.

Going to get a second opinion, but would like to hear feed-back from the Forum on possible replacement options.

Current furnace is a Trane X90 is only 17 yrs old, BTU output 60,000.
This is way under-powered for the size home I have (two stories-2800SF)
We replaced our gas furnace in our last house in MA in 2015. The HVAC contractor we used was a Trane shop. They came out and sized the proper unit based on the size of the house, etc, so that is something you definitely want to have done. Also, we selected a Trane unit that was high-efficiency, (90+ %, I believe) and also a heat pump, as that type of unit qualified for a nice rebate that Mass had at the time, (NH may also have a similar program through "NH Saves", so check that out).

We presently use Lakes Region HVAC in Bedford and at the lake and are very happy with them. I believe that they recommend Carrier products for FHA and AC, and Viessman for boilers for FHW. I think as long as you go with a name brand, (e.g., Trane, Carrier, etc), and have it properly sized by a competent HVAC firm, you should be fine.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote