View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 10:21 PM   #25
Mee-n-Mac

Question Where to raft

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROPELLER
I agree with what you posted. However, I am not happy with the present law chapter 270:44 (not the new LSR although I am against that too) because it allows any one to petition for a NRZ & could lead to the whole lake becoming a NRZ. Each time a new area becomes a NRZ the rafters will move to another area where it is not banned & that stresses that new area even more & makes property owners in that area more angry & then they petition for a NRZ, it just keeps snowballing.
This is what one of the sponsoring reps believe and uses to justify a lakewide NRZ. I'm less convinced that that'll happen. Not every place on the lake is desirable, or even suitable, for anchoring let alone a "big" raft up. Also I thought it took a min of 25 signatures for a petition to get considered. Short of some real aggrevation I don't think it's automatic to get the people to sign up. Your point below is really a good one and something to further explore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROPELLER
I think it would be better to make the entire lake rafting friendly except in those areas where for instance Loons nest (and even that is not the whole summer, Loons are done nesting by the end of June I think) or any other area where its clear it presents a hazard like Weirs channel or it can be shown its not environmentally sound etc. That way they are spread out more & property owners in the areas where rafting is allowed do not bear the full burden of all the rafters while others do not where they were able to get a NRZ passed.

I'm not sure that people would spread out enough if more places were rafting friendly though I like the idea because more space and less boats is what I usually am looking for while on the hook. But people who want to raft-up are looking for others to join with. I'm guessing a single raft of 5-10 noisy boaters will be reason enough for some to complain. More or larger rafts become immaterial to the question because at some size and/or noise level it's already hit the trip point. What do you have in mind when you say "rafting friendly" and how would it mitigate the problems that that concern people ?

But what can be done ? Could we find a place to have large rafts, perhaps even loud and bauchus parties w/o bothering the neighbors ? Silver Duck had some fun filling in the Witches but I wonder if something, someplace(s) less daunting could be found*. (any suggestions anyone) Would the more boisterous rafters voluntarily segregate themselves to these DRZs if they would be left alone to do their thing ? In retrospect we boaters should have learned from the various conservation groups. We should have organized and bought islands or shoreline and preserved them for rafting.

*lets have some more fun with this idea. Would you really need to fill in the Witches ? What if you had mooring balls for boats to tie to, along with some floating docks to make an atoll near the rocks ? I think the wave action would likely be too much most of the time but could this idea (or some derivative) be done in some other "remote" location. How about the quadrangle off Patrician Shores, Sands of Brookhurst & Farrar Pt. ?