View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 11:12 AM   #21
Commodore

Angry Rafting, NIMBY

Rafting is fine as long as it's Not In My Back Yard or waterfront. We have heard that before. Restricted rafting will not reduce boat and anchoring congestion in those areas.

I like to anchor and I also enjoy rafting up with friends. The NRZs (No Rafting Zones) are still crowded anchorages with or without rafts. Boaters are still allowed to raft no more than 2 boats in NRZs and some ignore or are unaware of those rules.

My attention is drawn to loud illegal rafting in NRZs. Most always one or more offshore style boats are involved with the raft. That's the obnoxious group with the loudest music and people. Again it is a small percent of the offshore boats that become highly visible and that adds to the perceived bad reputation of such boats on the lake .

As a boater I wish that the MP would enforce the no rafting rules more diligently. They should also make the specific anchoring and rafting rules for those NRZs more available to the boating public. How far can you anchor from the shore and other boats and rafts? The rules are different for different areas of Winnipesaukee.

The Poll questions are slightly confusing. I am in favor of rafting. I can live with the current situation with a few specified NRZs that allow 2 boats to raft. I am not in favor of designated rafting areas. Right now, with the exception of channels, bridges, and a few obvious places, the whole lake is a designated rafting area.

The bottom line is respect and courtesy. How do we get that accomplished?