View Single Post
Old 03-10-2005, 08:00 PM   #16
codeman671

Default damage

I am sorry for the damage done as is everyone else who has replied. I am the president of a snowmobile club in the seacoast area and have certainly seen my fair share of what snowmobilers that simply do not care can do to property. In my experience the people that usually do this type of damage do not live anywhere near the place they are riding, most come up from Mass (sorry about the stereotyping) since they have no place to ride there. Other typical offenders are local kids who have not matured enough yet to realize the consequences of their actions.

The state as well as local businesses profit greatly from the industry so it is not necessarily right to call all snowmobilers bad people. There are many charities that receive generous donations yearly from the industry such as Easter Seals. Snowmobilers can do good as well.

From a club standpoint we cannot really police property that is not posted. If we see someone doing a wrongful action we can try to intervene or at least contact authorities who can. We have no legal jurisdiction. My advice would be to post it! You need to protect your hard work and investment. I agree that it sucks to have to post your own property to keep others off but without doing it someone caught in the act of tresspassing could have more of a legal arguement. As funny as it may sound try a battery or solar powered motion activated deer camera, you could possibly snap a picture of the offender and get a registration#. Good luck!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote