View Single Post
Old 03-09-2005, 09:08 AM   #14
Rattler

Default Some Additional Details

Acres, the cleared lot your reference is not my lot. Not a tree was touched when we did our landscaping work.

I think you're right, however, in your comment that the terracing and stairs we put in make the property inviting to sledders. The other point is that the property is located approximately at the end of the construction road on Rattlesnake. I think snowmobilers travel that road, entering from the boat access at the northwest point of the island, and then when the road ends just travel down the hill encountering my property as the last obstacle before getting to the lake.

This, of course, begs Mink Islander's point of why they're on private property in the first place -- and why they would consider it OK to sled across what is very apparently somebody's front yard. (My contractor told me there is very little snow in the front yard due to the strong nortwest winds that are common on that side of Rattlesnake. So my assumption is that they knew what they were doing). Interestingly, as snowmobilers travel around the side of the cottage, there is the opportunity to keep going down a reasonably steep slope straight down to the lake -- as opposed to turning and sledding through the stairs and finished landscaping in the front. My take is that it was just too inviting to take the easy way out. I guess I just need to make my property a lot less inviting route to and from the lake next winter. I want to thank all the posters for the suggestions on how to do that.
Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote