View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 08:17 PM   #42
Waterbaby

Default So Happy You're SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
Well, maybe not a lighthouse, but as I replayed this event in head over and over again last night, while trying to sleep, it did occur to me that, although everyone should know that the Witches are there, and I have noone to blame but myself, they really could be marked a bit better. I was thinking something similar to a "fairway flag" (for anyone that golfs). Simply a white or balck flag on a thin pole 8 to 10 feet in the air. Certainly not an eye sore, as it would be barely visible from land, but anyone who knows they are approaching, could seek out the flag, and set the correct course. Just a thought. It would not be of any help to me...I can promise you, I'll never be in there agian.
I tell you, I was sweating reading your account -- almost felt like I was in that boat with you! There are many areas of the lake to be very careful in, but there are probably more horror stories about the Witches than all the others combined.

As far as GPS goes -- and this portion is actually addressed to everyone -- I'd still be very cautious in that area; don't forget what happened to the NASWA boat several years back, when she ended up in the Witches; that was WITH a GPS going and a seasoned member of the Coast Guard piloting her.

Regarding the markers around the Witches, in my opinion they are absolutely and totally "under" marked (for lack of a better way to put it), and I've thought this for the more-years-than-I'm-telling that I've boated on Winni. I, myself, have sometimes lost track of where I am on the lake, and that is one place nobody wants to find themselves!