View Single Post
Old 03-21-2023, 12:18 PM   #12
Excalibur

Location: Gilford,NH is where I would like to be and Southborough, MA is where I have to be
Default Definitely will wear an inflatable one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
Read Suddenly Overboard by Tom Lochhaas…surprisingly, many strong swimmers have drowned falling overboard without a PFD on and hit their head ( most likely on the gunwhale) knocked themselves unconscious and drowned. Many times in calm, protected waters.
Thank you for the recommending this book, I read the book in three nights and could not put it down.

I purchased an inflatable vest and a hand held vhf floatable radio after reading this. I boat on Buzzards Bay and Lake Winnipesaukee.

On Buzzards Bay all size boats pass less than 150' all the time at high speed.

I totally agree with the author, if you fall in the water , even if you do not hit your head and the water is cold, your legs will go numb and it will take a few people to bring you back aboard.

Also water is not our natural environment , even if you are a strong swimmer. All it takes is a little time and a cramp and you could be in trouble.

I think we all have to realize if there is a simple preventive measure to cut the risk down, like wearing an inflatable life preserver, its a no brainer to do it.

I recommend that you buy your son and yourself a nice comfortable inflatable PFD.
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Excalibur For This Useful Post: