View Single Post
Old 12-13-2020, 08:01 PM   #81
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I did say that, self insured plans can have surcharges that traditional plans cannot. Refer back to the original posts.
So, according to you at a minimum self-insured plans can have a higher premium for tobacco users, and apparently (again, according to you) so can ACA plans and group plans that cover fewer than 150 employees. Thank you.

Quote:
Also I stated I assumed you had traditional coverage because in this day and age self insurance is very rare especially for medical insurance.
Approximately 54,500 health plans filed a Form 5500 for 2015, an increase of nearly 6 percent from the health plans that filed a Form 5500 for 2014. Of health plans filing a 2015 Form 5500, about 22,900 were self-insured and approximately 3,900 mixed self-insurance with insurance (“mixed-insured”). Self-insured plans that filed a Form 5500 covered approximately 34 million participants in 2015 and held assets totaling about $84 billion. In 2015 there were nearly 26 million participants covered by mixed-insured group health plans; these mixed-insured group health plans held almost $135 billion in assets.

https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/fil...plans-2018.pdf

Very rare indeed. In 2015, 42% of health plans with about 34 million participants reported to the Department of Labor on Form 5500 by employers were disclosed to be fully self-insured. Sorry, a quick search brought me to data only as new as 2015.

Quote:
I also said you should have been more forthcoming and stated the origin of your employers policy.
The kind of health insurance I have has nothing to do with the simple overall question regarding higher premiums for tobacco users, which for whatever reason you seemed to be having a very hard time answering.