View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #82
ApS

Question Stiletto=Not Normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Catamarans with daggerboards ..the normal ones anyways, Always retract the "windward" daggerboard to eliminate "drag" on that side. The submerged board on the leeward side is all that is needed to prevent sideslip.

If the boat, (again..a normal one) is sailing Off the wind, ie..Tacking Downwind, quite often... Both boards will be retracted. NB
Not every catamaran.

The Stiletto was manufactured with a daggerboard in its centerline.

The "factory" restorers in Nokomis, FL, occasionally get a request to put a daggerboard in each hull. The Stiletto was an impressive boat in three sizes; so impressive, enthusiasts have made it a business to professionally restore them in Nokomis, FL. Some buyers of the Stiletto-30 have requested that "cruising" equipment be stripped off to reduce it to the racer-weight it really was designed to be.

I'd never seen the Stiletto before seeing one off Rattlesnake Island, but that could have been 20 years ago. Probably a Stiletto-23, they were also manufactured in 27 and 30' lengths. (Stiletto-30, below)

I believe I have a photo of it, which helps me remember that it was white in color with orange trim. About that time, New Hampshire began the requirement to register unpowered sailboats. Where is it now?

Below is a brochure I acquired at the Nokomis "factory", with my handwritten notes. I decided to buy a Tornado-20 instead, but today am re-considering the Stiletto-30 without cruising equipment.

Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote