View Single Post
Old 06-17-2005, 08:19 AM   #6
Mee-n-Mac

Default A slight shortcut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariahman81
I will be traveling to Lake W. (Gilford) on Sunday morning from upstate NY. The routes I normally take are:

NYS Thruway to Berkshire Spur to Mass Pike.
Exit 11a off Mass Pike to RT 495N
Exit 40b off Rte 495N to RT 93N
Exit #20/US-3/RT-11 toward TILTON/LACONIA
Follow US-3 to Tilton/Laconia
US-3 becomes RT-11a
Right on Belknap Mt Rd into Gilford

With Bike Week going on (I realize it ends this Sunday), should I be looking for alternate routes to avoid congestion? If so... can anyone offer some advice?

Thank you for your help!

Mariahman81
You can save 10-15 mins if you take the Rt3N (exit 35b to Nashua) off 495N. Rt3 turns into the Everett Turnpike in Nashua and you can follow that until it merges with Rt93N just before the tolls in Hookset. There are 2 caveats though; first you'll have to pay a 75 cent toll in Bedford and 2'nd it's possible to become confused w/Rt293 in Manchester. The latter is because the Turnpike is also Rt293 for a stretch and there's an exit for 293 (which you don't want to take). Just remember not to take any exits once on Rt3/Everett Turnpike. If you do take the 293 exit by mistake, you still end up on Rt93N but you'll have negated any time savings. Depending on the time of day Rt3N from 495 through Nashua can be slow but then again 495N from Rt3 until Rt93 can also be stop'n'go.

ps - I'm not sure when the races end this weekend so I'd avoid Rt106/Louden.