View Single Post
Old 03-18-2023, 05:26 AM   #41
ApS

Question No More "Secondary"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
NH sometimes regulates without a good reason... but they try to avoid it. The seatbelt/helmet issue is/has been more about the federal funds than compliance. If we had a historical chart, I would bet that more people over time have voluntarily begun using seat belts. After a while it becomes a habit.
The Alton shop tuning my car kindly drove me back to Wolfeboro. I spent 15 minutes in terror, as there were no seatbelts in their truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Hey Descant, when you say that " ... voluntary compliance in New Hampshire is on par with mandatory compliance in other states." This is simply NOT the situation.
Except for Massachusetts at 77.5%, all the 49 states with mandatory compliance have rates in the 80 and 90 percent range while New Hampshire is the lowest at 72.4%. Just take a good look at the numbers for 2021 from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in the above link. Our neighbors in Vermont are at 89.2% and Maine is at 91.8% for year-2021.
I just heard that on March 17, 2023, Massachusetts passed a new mandatory seatbelt law (yesterday). Not sure if this prompted the "primary stop" provision, as nothing has appeared at Google (yet).

Unknown what has happened to the proposal that:

Quote:
"[O]riginally put forth in 2019 following a deadly New Hampshire crash — that would raise the standards for commercial driver’s licenses in Massachusetts above federal standards 'to make sure that only safe and qualified drivers are able to operate some of the largest vehicles on the road.'"
The "justice" meted-out from that crash will cause our recollections to slowly disappear.