View Single Post
Old 02-26-2023, 07:39 PM   #9
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I am all for your right to die because of your own decisions. And, I think in most cases the less regulation the better. But please explain why people who wear their seat belts should pay higher insurance rates to cover for the injuries and deaths of those who don't. Please explain why it is fine for first responders to contend with additional carnage at motor vehicle accidents when the occupants of the vehicle did not wear their seat belts.

Would you be OK with higher insurance rates for people who don't wear their seat belts?

Young drivers already pay higher insurance rates because their accident risk is higher. The life insurance industry already has it figured out so that smokers pay higher premiums than non-smokers. Why not apply the same logic to unbelted drivers?
You could say the same thing about the motorcycle helmet law or even getting the covid vaccine.
By the way, I'm all for wearing seat belts, wearing helmets, and getting my covid vaccine but, as an adult, I'm not about being forced, by law, to do it.
Would it be fair to charge higher health insurance premiums for people that don't wear helmets or don't get the covid vaccine? Both those things effect insurance costs and are a burden on first responders.
Where do we draw the line?