View Single Post
Old 02-02-2023, 10:53 AM   #15
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Is the lack of permit in Laconia even a fine?
Or do they just have to acquire the permit after the fact?

So if no state license, and no local permit, the cost to acquire must be harder and a longer journey.
I cannot say how Laconia does things. I have two short-term rental condos in Hampton Beach (where the town encourages short-term rentals) and the state license and town permit seem to be completely isolated from each other. The town allows the permit to be passed from one owner to another and it's good for 10 years. The state requires a new license if the property changes hands. I did not realize the state required this and I was in violation for a few months. I self-reported and it cost me like 40 bucks or something. They were really cool about it.

Hampton seems to encourage (at times even requires) the ability to offer short term rentals because of all the mom and pop hotels and motels that are being replaced or reconfigured as condos. People that live here full time or just use the condo as a second home tend to spend a lot less money in local businesses than people that are on vacation for a short time. I'm sure there are property owners here that hate this, but Hampton Beach has always been a VERY seasonal vacation destination made up of mostly transients in "Summer season" (which now runs from May 1 to Nov 1 and seems to be growing), so short term rentals fit the mold perfectly. Literally the only industries here are hospitality and a little fishing (which mostly caters to hospitality and tourism).
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote