View Single Post
Old 02-26-2022, 11:10 AM   #18
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
SailinAway: you said you'd had thisa mechanic for a year? Who worked on it before that? More to the point, did you buy the car new? From a brand dealer or a used car lot or an private sale. Back up question: Is it possible the 87,000 is not accurate? I bought a car new once and there was an accessory: rally dash available from the manufacturer (gauges instead of lights. I bought it and the dealer installed it. Bingo, my 10 month old car had zero miles on it. When it was sold several years later the title said "unknown" for mileage, but I could have just as easily written in 103,000 which was on the odometer.
The good thing is, "Trouble comes in threes." First the roof, then the boiler, now the car. You should be safe for a long time to come.
Good questions, Descant. I bought the car in 2019 from a non-Chevy dealer in southern New Hampshire (it was a trade-in from their customer). It had 68,000 miles; interior and exterior looked close to new, so it appeared well cared for. Before I bought it I had the car thoroughly examined and test driven by Scott Sanborn in Laconia, who I also trust a lot and recommend. He found no real concerns. I also did a really thorough review online of hatchbacks, read the professional reviews. The Chevy Sonic was my 2nd choice after the Kia Soul. It's mechanical reliability was rated close to the Honda Fit, so highly rated in its class. (I know you guys aren't interested in small hatchbacks, but I am.) The Sonic (in my view) is the result of the government telling GM in the 2008 crash, "We will bail you out but you need to make better cars."

So no, I don't think it's possible that the odometer is inaccurate. In the 20,000 miles I've put on it it has needed a new battery and one very small repair. I think the plug and coil wear are reasonably consistent with the mileage.

So problems come in threes? Would that be three per year, three a month, or what?
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post: