View Single Post
Old 02-22-2022, 08:07 PM   #3
1helpfulhandyman

A car from 2014 most likely(almost definitely) has individual ignition coils for each spark plug. When 1 goes bad the car misfires and kind of vibrates and shakes. You lose power. The cylinder that isnt getting spark from the bad coil still gets gas and the car runs rich (too much gas) because of the bad coil. You may smell fuel when this happens. If you can access the coils (usually on top of each sparkplug) when the motor is running, unplug a coil 1 at a time. If the motor shakes even worse that coil is good. Plug it back in and go to the next, then the next. If you unplug one and there is no change thats the bad coil. If you havent driven much you probably only need to change the coil. If you have driven more than 5 miles you should change the sparkplug as it has been getting soaked with gas. If you drove a lot of miles change the oil and filter as that gas gets past the piston and into the oil pan. My wifes Toyota took 4 hours to change all 6 coils after 1 went bad. The ones in the back were horrendous to change. My Honda took 20 minutes to change all 6 after 1 went bad.
PS: both my cars have over 150,000 miles before a coil went bad but they can go bad at lower mileage. Amazon is the place to buy the parts to save a lot of money. No need for name brand or the car manufacturers brand as they are all made in China these days! My Honda was 75 dollars for 6 coils on Amazon, 50 dollars for 1 at the auto parts store.
Good Luck !
1helpfulhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1helpfulhandyman For This Useful Post: