Thread: Computer help
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2016, 06:31 AM   #43
jeffk

This has been a problem for quite a while. There is an app, GWX control panel, that can shut off the nag and possible forced update and if and when you want it to turn it back on again. I used it for about 6 months and it worked perfectly.

However, here is something to note. The free update offer expires July 29, in two weeks. What happens after that date? Here is what a recent magazine article said is likely to happen:

1. The free upgrade offer ends on July 29 and will not be extended.

2. Any upgrades completed before that date will be valid for as long as the device lasts.

3. There is a possibility that Microsoft will introduce some new upgrade offers after July 29, but don't count on it.

SO - if you want to upgrade to Windows 10 "at some point", that point is probably NOW. I recently upgraded from Windows 7 and it was easy and has been working pretty well. I also upgraded 3 machines from my church. I know several people others who have updated and are happy. HOWEVER, I have heard of a couple bad experiences. Make sure you have a ROCK SOLID backup image of your system before you upgrade. If you don't know how to do that, get help from a computer store before you upgrade. Restoring a system from a backup image is easy and quick. Without the image, you are out of luck. I have also heard one story from a computer store about the upgrade causing a laptop screen to burn out. That is really nasty but also, I suspect, extremely unlikely to happen to most people. Just be informed.

Support for Windows 7 expires in 2020. I expect that some will simply ride it out and then buy a new system and current OS when the support ends. IMO that may be a viable plan. It's a very personal choice. But as of the 29th, you may be locked into that choice or have to pay for what a lot of people have gotten for free.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote