Thread: Computer help
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2016, 05:04 AM   #13
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I just ordered a new Dell XPS 8900 on line....From DELL...I think. The Dell website couldn't suck enough. I've been trying to order this computer for a week. I couldn't get a confirmation as to what I had ordered. ..I couldn't complete the transaction.

SO: The website was "pecking" on me while I was looking around tonight .

I was becoming VERY frustrated. They popped an 800 number....SO I called. First Up.. I asked where the person on the line was located. INDIA. I hung up. Two minutes later my phone rang.

I guess I am GETTING A DELL. They sent a confirming email that I can't decipher. I hope it will be something close to what I think I am getting...Or something.

OH..BTW..I am getting a FREE.. 32" Samsung TV that I DON'T WANT.

OH The F'in Humanities MB

PS: For those of you who may not know: IE9... and Vista (Myself) will NOT be supported my Microsoft after April next year. You need to get a new computer. Your old computer hardware will not be compatible with the new software. NB
Good luck.

Part (or all) of your problem with the web site might have been because you are using outdated software and hardware. It's like putting premium hamburger into the freezer, taking it out and cooking it 6 years later and expecting it to taste good.

I have been running Windows 7 and I have noticed strange little behaviors that indicated it was reaching its expiration date, especially using Internet Explorer; videos that wouldn't play, web sites that didn't work smoothly. I switched to Chrome and that helped but I knew that time was running out. The world out there that we interface to keeps moving on. Old operating systems don't keep up.

I just upgraded to Windows 10. So far so good. It's faster and the interface can be kept very similar to Windows 7 so the learning curve isn't too bad. Some good new features.

When I buy computers, I buy fairly top end. Why? So that when the OS upgrades, I am not frozen out. This means a very good, although perhaps not the "ultimate" Intel CPU available. LOTS of memory and memory expansion possibilities (because future memory will be even cheaper) (Also a dirty little secret, an OS may "run" with 4 GB of memory but it will perform way better with 16 GB, faster and even more reliable). A BIG disk, because you will always need more storage. Reasonable graphics capabilities. I am not a gamer so I don't need top end. Lots of USB 3 ports.

Result, I had plenty of horsepower to go from Windows 7 to Windows 10. About 6 months ago I updated to a SSD for my primary drive. VERY nice speed pickup, the system uses less power, runs cooler and quieter because the fan is needed less. Prices have come down on SSDs, although still more than a hard disk. I won't buy another system with a HDD as a primary drive. Because the SSD is so fast , the Windows 10 upgrade was really quick.

I also upgraded from DSL to 35 Mbs cable internet, like going from a garden hose to a fire hose. The Windows 10 download only took about 15 minutes instead of hours.

Have fun with your new system. If you really get it.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote