View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 05:39 PM   #9
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDV
"...Google suggested t8 to NJ then pick up s87 to 87 up through NY to pick up Mass Pike (90). Then travel 105 miles through Mass to 495, then the same to Winnie.

Mapquest suggested the same as Google until 87 reached 84, then Mapquest said go through CT as I outlined above..."
I like Google's suggested route.

I pass through Hersey on my way to the lake and travel only on non-holiday weekends. Interstates 84 and 95 drive me crazy with stoppages, just plain bad drivers., and steep uphills (both east- and west-bound on I-84 ).

From now on, I'll be taking the full length of the Mass Pike (I-90) from I-87: However many minutes it may be longer (five? ten?), it's far more scenic, relaxing, and safer than any other route I've taken. With just one gas stop from Alton, it was 4½+ hours to the Tappan Zee locale. Crawling in traffic congestion is hardly a sensible penny-pinching alternative vs. the Mass Pike toll charge.

However!!!! You need to be alert for the one sign at that I-90 and I-87 intersection, whether going north or south. Ask Grant!

More "getting here" opinions here.